How to Counter Zyra – League of Legends Strategy Guide
A guide on how to counter Zyra of League of Legends.
Links you May Also Be Interested In
Zyra is an all new plant-based champion with one of the best bursting and CC abilities in the game so far. She is like a combination of Heimerdinger, Lux, and Morgana, and has the damage to prove it. It’s no wonder why she’s such a formidable foe!
Here is a guide to beating this champion, and so you don’t get forever-rooted your whole game.
Know How She Plays
The best way to beat a champion is to know their arsenal. If you don’t know what Zyra does, you can’t anticipate and react to her moves, can you?
If you’re too lazy to watch the Youtube video, here is a brief breakdown of her abilities:
- Passive: When she dies, she turns into a flower and shoots a high damage dealing seed, controlled by the player for a few seconds.
- Deadly Bloom (Q): A mediocre AoE move. However, it turns planted seeds into attack plants.
- Rampant Regrowth (W): Zyra’s cooldown reduction, and allows her to plant seeds. If you step on the seeds, they blow up, and reveal you for a few seconds.
- Grasping Roots (E): A Butt-kicking CC and damage ability. Zyra shoots a wave of thorns at an enemy (skill shot). This skill scales magnificently off of AP, and it roots all champions that the skill touches. All of them.
- Strangle Thorns (R): Zyra’s ult. It creates massive area of thorns, and after a brief moment, all champions in the area get knocked up. In addition, plants that are touched by strangle thorns get an increased attack speed boost.
- If Zyra dies, don’t be an idiot and stand there. RUN. People always forget that her passive allows her an extra chance to kill.
- Unlike Heimerdinger’s turrets, Zyra can actually control her plants. Don’t think that you can go run by a turret and watch it shoot stupidly at minions.
Early Game – Pressure Her
Get someone strongly early game to go mid. Zyra burses like a mofo, so it’s best to kill her early before she gets all her skills.
Bait Her – Make her use her Rooting Spell
Zyra is relatively Mana-hungry, so bait her into using her rooting spell. Run at her, and the moment she turns to face you move sideways. It takes practice, but do NOT get caught.
After she misses, retaliate immediately. This is your chance to give her some damage without getting some of it yourself.